Preventions and reviews from the age of fifty
The best way to age healthily is to lead a healthy life, without having to consider this assertion as redundant. A balanced diet, regular practice of physical exercise and avoiding toxic habits such as tobacco are the main keys to achieving this goal, although genetics also has a special prominence in the way we age. It should be borne in mind that the aging process leads to progressive degradation of tissues and functions of the body and in this respect family history can have an important specific weight.
With all this in mind, regular medical checkups should be a fundamental practice from the age of 50, whether general and routine or specific. Only in this way can a significant number of age-associated diseases be detected early, in order to initiate treatment as soon as possible and thus control the disease and maintain the quality of life.
In this sense, there are different types of medical checkups and tests that it is advisable to perform from the age of 50:
- Annual review. Routine blood pressure monitoring should be maintained and a blood test performed at least once a year to monitor, among other things, cholesterol and blood glucose levels. Elevation above the normal values of any of them involves adding a risk factor against cardiovascular disease.
- Dental checkups. Aging leads, for example, to the loss of elasticity of periodontal tissue and, therefore, a retractment of the gums. A visit every six months to the dentist and the performing of a professional dental cleaning will allow to maintain good oral health.
- Ophthalmologist reviews. Measurement of intramuscular pressure is essential every two years. And from the age of 65 undergo an annual eye check that also includes the bottom of the eye in order to detect possible alterations of the retina, in addition to studies to detect other eye diseases typical of aging, such as cataracts, glaucoma or oracular degeneration. The hearing should also be reviewed regularly to control myopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Hearing impairment review. Hearing loss may be normal from a certain age, so from age 65 it is recommended to perform a review from time to time to check hearing ability. Before if you notice any hearing abnormalities.
- Urological review in men. Benign prostate hyperglycemia and prostate cancer are two pathologist in which age is a determining risk factor. An analysis to measure PSA and a rectal touch to detect any increase in prostate size should be done annually from 45-50 years.
- Mammography. This test allows to detect breast cancer in its initial phase, thus increasing the probabilities of healing. It must be done once every two years from 40 and annually from the age of 50
- Gynecological consultation. The 50-year-old is a critical moment in a woman’s life for the advent of menopause. That is why in this period gynecological reviews become more relevant.
- Colo rectal cancer. It is an established fact that from 45-50 years of age all people should undergo a stool test to detect tumor markers that may be indicative of this type of cancer and allow an early diagnosis.
- Bone endometriosis. It is a test that should be especially underwent by women who have overcome menopause to measure the degree of bone generalization. Estrogen loss promotes decreased bone density and, as a result, the development of osteoporosis, which significantly increases the risk of fractures.